Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Ginger Bread House

Christmas time is here people! It's cold. The trees are like bare fingers sticking up out of the frozen ground. There are black birds, pecans, and frost. My little siblings are wishing for a snow day (and I admit I am too ;). Our family has a lot of Christmas traditions, but one thing we've never really done every year is make a ginger bread house. However, this year Emily and I made one. We just finished it actually. We were making it for a center piece on our table for the ladies brunch at church one Saturday this month. So, here is the story of how two teenage girls made a ginger bread house... *hands a hot cup of hot chocolate* Enjoy! ;)

Once upon a time I was in my bedroom reading 1776, a very informative and interesting, but slightly... looonnngggg... book about the Revolutionary War. Down stairs I could hear mom and my siblings going about their daily task- school, school, school. Suddenly Emily burst into the bedroom to remind me that we had to make a ginger bread house, so we marched down stairs to conquer the little red box of ginger bread, candies, and icing.

We took the pre-made house out of the box, and Emily ran hot water over the package of icing. The icing was... challenging. It took us a while to realize that we were supposed to put the icing into this little plastic baggie, rather than leave it in the shiny foil bag that it was packaged in. Then after a bit more decorating we realized that there was a plastic tip for the plastic bag so that the icing would come out in a smooth line. Goodness! xD

We iced the roof, made cute little doors and windows, and even made a pile of snow balls and a snowman! I think we were supposed to put icicles on the edges of the roof, but we didn't attempt that. There were shiny little red and green candy balls and some sparkly, sugary candies too. They made the ginger bread house look pretty, but I'd never actually eat it... The candy doesn't really feel "edible" when you touch it. Haha. ;)

Then... Emily discovered that there were directions! xD Mom was like, "Yeahhhh... did y'all not use the directions?"

I didn't even know that ginger bread houses came with directions. I thought you were supposed to use your imagination. (Although Emily and I had been following the picture of the house on the front of the box, so I suppose we weren't being all that imaginative.)

Anyways, that's my happening of the day ;)

Moral of this story? Ginger bread houses come with directions! xD

2 comments: