Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Making the Truth Clear

So, there is this video that my sister showed me on YouTube. These guys sang several Christmas carols, then uploaded them to YouTube. Next, they used the YouTube captioning thing to find out what YouTube thought they were saying. Finally, they re-sang the songs using the YouTube generated captions...


Needless to say, YouTube misunderstood the lyrics BIG time! ;D If these guys had sang the songs slowly and really taken care to enunciate during the original recording, however, I'll bet the YouTube generated lyrics would have been a lot more accurate!

Now, how can we apply this to our lives?

Well, I was thinking. Lots of time as Christians, we know what we believe. I know that I believe that Jesus Christ is God's Son. I know I believe that Jesus died for my sins and that He was raised from the grave on the third day. I know I believe in the trinity- the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I know that I'm a sinner. I know all of these things because I've learned them at church, at home, and in my personal Bible study. I've heard them repeated over, and over, and over, and over... However, it's important to remember that other people might not know what I believe. To someone who is unfamiliar with the true basics of Christianity, these things that to me seem like such simple truths might be much harder to comprehend and understand the first time around. I have to be careful when I talk to non-believers. I've discovered that even living in Georgia- the South, the Bible belt- many people don't actually understand what being a follower of Christ is because they've just heard a few pieces of the Bible here and there. They've translated what they have heard into what makes sense. Just like YouTube took the songs that it heard and created the words it THOUGHT were being said, people have heard the story of Christ, but they totally misunderstood it, turned it into what they wanted it to be, or in some cases, the peson who they heard it from was just plain wrong. So, what can we do about this? I think that we should to out best to make ourselves very clear about what we believe and take the time to explain it completely to people when we are sharing Christ. :) Let's help make the truth clear to the world around us!

"Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life. And if someone asks about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain it." 1 Peter 3:15 (NLT)

Anyways... Those are my thoughts :)




No comments:

Post a Comment