For school I had to write a commentary (or song, or poem, or story, but I ended up going with a commentary) on Jesus' quote: "I am the light of the world." Here were my thoughts. ;) I'd love to hear your take on what it means that Jesus is the light of the world!
---
Imagine you are locked in a pitch black room. There is no light at all; no light from the sun peeking through a window, no light from the adjoining room sneaking underneath the door. Naturally you feel insecure and want to get rid of the darkness. How can you make the black veil go away? How can you combat the darkness? The only way to chase away darkness is light. However, if you do not have matches, a flash light, or access any other source of light how can you make a light? There is no way to create light, thus there is no way to disperse the darkness. Your situation is pretty bleak.
Our world is just like the dark room. We are living in a world of sin and death. Some people might realize that they are living in a dark world of sin, but on our own we are powerless to chase away the darkness. In fact, we ourselves are dark. Not a single atom of any human being is free of sin and darkness. According to Romans 7:14b-17, “…What I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me." No matter how badly we want the dark and sin to go away, we are powerless against it. Sin lives within us. However, we are not alone in the battle against darkness. God sent his Son, the light of the world, Jesus Christ, to fight the darkness. As David sang in 2 Samuel 22:29, “You, LORD, are my lamp; the LORD turns my darkness into light.” Jesus came to turn the world’s darkness into light. Jesus himself said, “I am the light of the world” (John 8:12). Jesus is the spiritual light in a spiritually dark world. He illuminates the truth and floods people’s hearts with a special light and hope that only he can give. He shows people that there was a better way to live and he presents a life of light to a world of darkness.
Although we are living in a world drenched in sin and darkness, God loved us so much that he chose to give us light. He sent his only son, Jesus, to be the light of the world and to illuminate our lives. He chose to meet our darkness with light.
Our world is just like the dark room. We are living in a world of sin and death. Some people might realize that they are living in a dark world of sin, but on our own we are powerless to chase away the darkness. In fact, we ourselves are dark. Not a single atom of any human being is free of sin and darkness. According to Romans 7:14b-17, “…What I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me." No matter how badly we want the dark and sin to go away, we are powerless against it. Sin lives within us. However, we are not alone in the battle against darkness. God sent his Son, the light of the world, Jesus Christ, to fight the darkness. As David sang in 2 Samuel 22:29, “You, LORD, are my lamp; the LORD turns my darkness into light.” Jesus came to turn the world’s darkness into light. Jesus himself said, “I am the light of the world” (John 8:12). Jesus is the spiritual light in a spiritually dark world. He illuminates the truth and floods people’s hearts with a special light and hope that only he can give. He shows people that there was a better way to live and he presents a life of light to a world of darkness.
Although we are living in a world drenched in sin and darkness, God loved us so much that he chose to give us light. He sent his only son, Jesus, to be the light of the world and to illuminate our lives. He chose to meet our darkness with light.
---
So, as I wrote this paper, I just COULDN'T stop thinking of this song. Specifically the first phrase, "Light of the world, You stepped down into darkness..." Literally, I'd try to think of something to write, and all I could hear in my head was this song. I kept thinking how nice it would have been if I had been the one blessed with the lyrics to this song and I could have turned them in for the assignment. Hahah. xD
Also, I kept thinking about this amazing song. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment